Moment diners flee Mayfair restaurant after sparkler sets fire to Christmas tree

Spread the love

A fire at a Mayfair restaurant was caused by sparklers in cocktails setting Christmas decorations alight, the emergency services believe.

Around 300 diners were forced to evacuate MNKY HSE on Friday evening with two being treated for minor injuries by ambulance services at the scene.

Dramatic footage showed guests, some of whom were still clutching wine glasses, fleeing the building as the fire raged above their heads.

Diners were seen running towards the exit and ducking under burning decorations to escape the fire.

Five fire engines and around 35 firefighters from Soho, Lambeth, Kensington and Chelsea fire stations attended the scene.

The London Fire Brigade (LFB) said they were called at 9.40pm to the blaze at the Dover Street establishment.

Man and woman treated at the scene

A spokesperson for the service said: “A fire at a Mayfair restaurant was believed to have been caused by an indoor sparkler catching a natural Christmas tree alight.

“Christmas decorations inside the building caught fire and were extinguished before firefighters arrived.”

They added: “Around 300 people were evacuated by on-site staff and crews who carried out a systematic search of the property to ensure no one was inside on arrival.

“A man and a woman were treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews.”

Leave a Comment